You’re not legally required to advertise a job, but it’s a good idea to do so.
Advertising a job means:
- you’re less likely to break the law by discriminating, even if you did not intend to
- you’ll probably get a wider range of applicants who are suitable for the job
If your business has written rules (for example, a recruitment policy) in place you should follow them.
For example, your rules might say:
- whether you have to advertise a job
- where you should advertise
- who you must advertise to (for example, internal or external applicants)
If your business has written rules, they must be applied the same way for everyone.