If an employer says you cannot apply or rejects you for a job

Taking things further

If you already work for the employer who rejected your application, you can raise the issue with them. It's best to do this informally at first.

Getting help

You can:

If you’ve tried all options without success and believe the employer broke the law, you can make a claim to an employment tribunal. Find out more about making a claim to an employment tribunal on GOV.UK.

Constructive dismissal

If you’ve been working for the employer for at least 2 years you might, in rare circumstances, be able to claim 'constructive dismissal'. This is when you feel forced to leave your job because of a decision your employer has made.

Constructive dismissal can be a difficult claim to win at an employment tribunal. You should get legal advice before resigning or making a claim.

Find out more about constructive dismissal.